this is so crazy, my last birth story. i am sad and relieved all at the same time. this pregnancy was no easy ride(with the bed rest, steroid shots, extreme backache and loads of false labor)and by my 39th week i was so over ready to be done. yes, i will miss not feeling little jabs and kicks inside me and i will so miss having a sweet and cuddly newborn to snuggle with, but i honestly feel like our family is complete. and well, Oliver could not be more perfect for our little family.
12:30 am Thursday the 13th I woke up to a small gush feeling. I began thinking that maybe my water had broken but didn't put much thought to it.
2:30 am I feel another small gush and wake up Wayne to tell him I think I am leaking and we decide we will wait and see what happens till my Dr's appointment that morning at 9:50.
9:50 am I am still leaking a little and head to my appointment. She checks me and I am 80% effaced and 3 cm(no progress from last week and feeling pretty defeated). However, I have some bloody show and she suggest we head over to labor and delivery at the hospital and walk for a couple hours to see if that can get my water to break.
10:30 am I am checked into triage and monitored for 30 minutes before I can start walking. Wayne heads home to go get Chase from school and drop him off at our friends house. By 11 am I am walking the halls by myself and have some slight contractions.
2:00 am Wayne is back and I get checked by the triage nurse. Still a 3 and for sure thinking that I am going to be sent home when contractions start to pick up and come every 2 minutes. We meet with my midwife and she decides to admit me and we head to our labor room. woo hoo!
2:30 pm hooked up and ready to have this baby. my amazing doula arrives and my contractions start coming every 2 minutes apart, although they are still pretty bearable.
3:30 pm checked by my midwife and i am to a 4 and 85% percent. she goes ahead and breaks my water to get things moving along and i notice my contractions begin to get just a little bit stronger.
5:00 pm my midwife comes in and i haven't made much progress. she suggest we start just a little bit of pitocin to get things to progress a little faster and stop the pitocin once it does.
6:00 pm start pitocin 2cc
However, my midwife gets called away for three hours and the nurses go ahead and up my pitocin 2cc's every 15 minutes. This is when things get just a little hazy for me.
After an hour my contractions become insanely strong and hard to breath through. I begin to panic and tell both my doula and Wayne that I have done natural birth three times. I know how to handle contractions, these contractions I cannot. We decide to check and see how much I have progressed and I am at a 7. I beg for an epidural.
After what seems for a lifetime, the anesthesiologist finally arrives and begins to ask me a series of questions. At this point I am laying flat on my side and trying every which way to just get through each hard contraction. Also at this time, my nurse and anesthesiologist begin in a discussion over some medication and the nurse then proceeds to call the pharmacist. No pain relief for me till they get this squared away, but they do decide to have me sit on the edge of the bed to get ready.
As I am sitting there, waiting for pain relief, I have a huge contraction and decide to stand up through the pain. I feel lots of movement and a gush of fluid just comes out.
I sit back down again and have another strong contraction and stand up again when I feel his head right there. That's when I scream the "baby is coming, it's heads right there!" and pure chaos takes place in the room.
The nurse asks to check me but I refuse to move as every ounce of my body wants to push this baby out. I'm told not to push, keep squeezing and then asked if I could get back on the bed. Wayne has rushed out to find my midwife and she begins to set up for me to deliver, right there, standing up. In no way was I going to push this baby standing up and I finally make my way to lay down on the bed and push.
I pushed three times and there he was!
He definitely came into this world in a way I would never forget. And when Wayne announced it was a boy I remember asking "are you sure?"
But I fell in love with him completely the moment they put him into my arms.
Although the labor was just a tad bit crazy, the recovery part has been my best. I didn't tear or bleed for long and have felt pretty amazing since then.
And Oliver is just the sweetest and calmest little baby.
The kids are just as in love with their new little brother as Wayne and I are. They even got to help name him, which is pretty special.
I love the moments when they come to kiss and say hi to him. And Sabrina is just the best big sister ever. She is so sweet and so soft and just loves to help mommy in every way for caring for baby Oliver.
We are so happy and so blessed to have this little guy in our life. I can't stop staring at him, snuggling him or kissing him. He is truly a wonderful blessing and I am so happy he is mine!









8 comments:
Yeah for baby! He is so cute, I miss you! Congratulations!
Congratulations! He is precious! What a story. I had four natural deliveries and then my last labor was "helped" by pitocin and those contractions were definitely much stronger and more difficult to handle. You are amazingly strong!
Oh yay! What a memorable entrance! I was holding my breath as I read this..as most labour/delivery stories cause me to! They are just so intense, so amazing, so awesome! Welcome to the world Oliver!
What a little cutie. Glad things went well and your doing good. You are quite the trooper. Can't wait to see him.
Holy cow! What a story! I think I need an Advil after reading that! What a wonderful family you've all become. May the adventures continue.
He is beautiful and I love his handsome name too. What a story - phew! Congratulations!!!!
You are amazing! Congrats! What a story. Glad things went well!
Awww. Congratulations!! Such a special moment.
Post a Comment