So apparently my motto for this summer running is 'nothing is going to stop me!' Remember last month with my knee injury? Well, shortly before this race(meaning the Wednesday July 2nd) my mouth swelled up like a balloon. It seems the orthodontist work that I had done that Monday caused a severe reaction in my mouth and not only did it swell up it also caused a ton of lesions inside my mouth as well. By Wednesday and Thursday I couldn't eat, I could barely drink and I was in excruciating pain. I had signed up for the Lenexa Freedom Run 10k a couple weeks before and I was so looking forward to running another race on July fourth, but I honestly didn't think I could do it. I literally was surviving on protein shakes and water that I would slowly drink down.
By Wednesday night I was desperate and thankfully tried this horribly nasty stuff that would not only numb all of the sores but also help heal them as well. Late that evening I was feeling a ton better and started filling up on soups and more protein shakes. Thursday I was starting to feel a lot better and even though I still was so very swollen I could eat shakes and soup and yogurt.
When it came to race day I was excited to finally go out running. I love running and I think that I truly needed this race to help make me feel normal and strong again. I told Wayne that I didn't know if I would finish the 6.2 miles but I was definitely going to try my hardest. I absolutely loved this race and felt incredibly strong the whole entire time. I am truly proud of myself for staying on my goal.
I look so tired(probably from the lack of food) in this picture but truly I felt great the entire time. I pushed myself hard and finished in 47:59, my fastest 10k! I averaged a 7:44 minute/mile and still finished 7th in my age group. There were so many incredible runners at this race. I loved watching them all and it made me excited to start training hard again.
I am really excited about running and racing. I love the time I have with just me and the thoughts in my head and I love seeing how strong my body is getting. I may have to sacrifice a lot of early mornings so that I can go run before the kids get up, but I definitely think it is worth it!
Now to find a race for August!!





No comments:
Post a Comment