Thursday, October 28, 2010

catching up

I am way behind on my blogging and picture taking and well... just catching up on things. It's been a little crazy with expecting our third and making sure everything is ready. Plus, having two very active boys, keeps me pretty occupied and distracted.

Photobucket
We were finally able to get an appointment with a neurologist to go over Fisher's EEG scan back in July (finally!!). It was nice to rule out that Fisher isn't experiencing any common seizures, but they are concerned that he might have a rare seizure disorder that occurs only in your sleep and on the left side of your brain, where all your speech and communication skills are. They are concerned with Fisher's regression in saying words and believe that this could be either his hearing, these seizures, or just part of his autism.

First let me say that I think Fisher is making huge progress in his development. HUGE! But, Wayne and I have been concerned that some of the things he used to say so well, he can't say anymore. For example, "airplane". His first real word. He doesn't say it anymore. He only says "air" and has the hardest time spiting out the 'p' in plane. It has us very concerned and a little worried that he is regressing. But he is making huge progress in his social skills and eye contact and he is repeating words and signs when we show them. So some things are looking so great!

So now we have two more things to rule out. We need to make sure that everything is okay with his hearing. So we have a hearing test lined up. He has always passed his hearing but hopefully this one will be more extensive. Then we have a sleep study EEG scan. They believed that with his regression with words, that these rare seizures might be interfering with those developments. And if that is the case then we are able to start treatments for it right away. If not, just one more thing to rule out and one more thing to focus on.

But the boys have been doing so great and are so fun to be around. Chase repeats everything you say and is so smart! I love my car rides with him, he points out every basketball hoop, every pumpkin (which he calls "apples") and every bus. And he is teaching Fisher so much in saying animal noises and playing trains. The best is when you catch the two of them reading to each other. They are great buddies!

I need to be better about capturing this all on my camera!

Photobucket
Also, can I just tell you that I am so ready for baby girl to be hear? Hopefully soon! Less than a week till my due date!


Photobucket

2 comments:

N Luthi said...

good luck!

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Kristin, I am so glad you got Fisher in. I am sorry that he may be having those seizures, but I am glad you have things lined up and hopefully can get everything solved soon. Love that Chase calls the pumpkins "apples!" And I too can't wait until the baby comes, have her with my cousin Molly tomorrow, ok? Then I can come visit both of you guys together!!! ;0) Good luck hun - hang in there, she is ALMOST HERE!!!