Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Last week I had one of those moments.

It was a moment when I let my wonderful hormones get the best of me and I was once again wrapped up in unwanted emotions, feeling scared and anxious, and I let the tears overwhelm me.

It happened as soon as I went to pick up Fisher from school and he was having one of those days. Those days when he was just in his own world and could care less to the people around him. He wouldn't acknowledge me or look at me or respond to anything I said. He just wanted his lunch and his drink and that was that. I wish I could ask him what he did at school, or hear about his 'friends' and 'peers', but he doesn't have to tell me. I can tell by his purple and blue stained fingers that he got to color with markers. And his chocolate cover mouth lets me know that he got m&m's today, his favorite. I would just love to hear how his day went through his eyes, his experience.

So I lost it. I cried and cried. Thinking how stupid I am to think that just out of nowhere, he is going to talk, he going to act like an almost 3 year old would. I blame it on the pregnancy. My hormones are out of wack. I have been so good at trying to be so positive. He really is making progress! Tremendous progress and my patience is just running out... or something.

Photobucket
I love this little guy so much, and seeing how much he has learned in the last few months should be something to celebrate. Yesterday was his second assessment at his school. Now that they have created a curriculum for him we were anxious to see how well he is progressing. His communication skills are improving more and more everyday. He is learning to ask for things first without being prompted. He prefers to sign but is learning to say words that start with vowels or 'm'. However, he has mastered the word "up", "down", "elephant", "airplane" and "bike". His imitations skills are amazing and this is something that I have seen right away! If you show him a new sign, he will follow it and remember it!

It was also exciting to know that his social skills have improved greatly as well. He is learning to play with peers rather than just sitting and playing next to them. This is something we see when he plays with his little brother. Chase has been one of the biggest influences on Fisher gaining new social skills. They play so well together and Fisher just loves being around him! They have become wonderful friends and I am so blessed that they have each other.

I honestly have so much to be greatful for. I just need to keep my patience in line. I know that there will always be bad days. Frustrating days. But I want to focus on the good days. The days when I get to play 'Ring around the Roses' and laugh with my little ones. Fisher signing 'again', 'again' and we do till we get dizzy. I love those days. Those days I look forward too!

Photobucket

3 comments:

Stephanie Crowder said...

<3 always here for you

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Kristin, it's hard and you are normal to have those days, let it out! You are such a wonderful mom and Fisher is so lucky to have you. You are positive and loving and exactly what he needs. He is doing so amazing. I am so happy he is going to that school and hope he continues to thrive. I am sure he will. Love ya babe!

Natty Shea said...

You are doing so great, and he is making progress because of all your hard work! I'm sorry you have those days, but try and remember how far he is coming...and remember you can always talk to me! I love you guys so much! Wish I could be there for you more! xx