I think it's like Murphy's law or something that when my husband leaves to go out of town it's inevitable for something crazy to happen while he is away. Like the tallest fire alarm in our house deciding that it needs a new battery at 3:00 in the morning or that the "Blizzard of Oz"(I honestly did not make that up) decides to roll through and not only cancel school for two days, but left us completely home bound too.
At least we made the best of it, and although we were all ready for a change of scenery and some new fun faces to see by Saturday, we still had a ton of fun and I so enjoyed creating these exciting and new memories with my four crazy kiddos.
Wednesday night I got an email from the school district informing me that school was cancelled for Thursday. I was shocked, because it hadn't even started snowing yet and it sure didn't look like it was going to anytime soon, so I just thought they were crazy. To my surprise when when the kids finally convinced me to get out of bed I looked outside and saw nothing but white. It snowed and was still snowing like crazy and I am thankful that the weatherman predicted white. They even issued a State of Emergency and urged all business to close and people to stay off the roads. It definitely looked like it was going to be a snow day for us and the kids were super excited!
So we spent the early part of our morning cuddling on the couch watching cartoons and putting puzzles together and playing games. It was nice and fun and so completely wonderful.
After much begging from the kids to go outside and play, I finally got them all bundled up and ready to go. Only there was just one small problem. We were literally snowed in. We received most of the snow drift in our neighborhood and so much drifted in front of our front door that I couldn't get it open. Thankfully our amazing neighbor was out shoveling and he came to our rescue, even helping me shovel our driveway. He is a saint!! His whole family is amazing!
My little helpers. They wanted so badly to help shovel the driveway with me even though it was super cold.
After much time in the freezing cold I quickly bribed the kids to come inside with promises of a warm bath and yummy hot chocolate.
It worked, thankfully.
They loved it and I loved watching them laugh and giggle. So much fun.
After a yummy dinner we cuddled once more to watch a movie before bed, Nightmare before Christmas, a favorite in our household. And then we soon learned that school was indeed canceled for Friday too.
So of course we headed back outside to play in the snow once again! I love this pick of all three with their little shovels. They were such fun little helpers!
And we made forts with pillows and blankets and christmas lights! It became the kids favorite place for the day and they were so fun to watch just being together.
And even Oliver loved the snow days too. He enjoyed his time in the exersaucer watching the snow fall through the window.
I am not going to lie, solo-parenting is hard, and when you are home bound for two days it makes it a little harder. BUT, I did enjoy every minute spent with my kids. The new memories we created. The expression on their faces when I told them they could slide down the stairs on a mattress, the laughter I heard when they were all crammed in their little fort, those our experiences I never want to forget, that I hope they wont forget but will want to keep doing together. Those memories and wonderful moments help make the not so easy and the not so very fun times so very worth it.
We are told that we are supposed to get another winter storm Sunday night and Monday. Wish us luck, hopefuly Wayne will make it home to join in all of our Winter fun!









3 comments:
You are seriously the best mommy ever!!! I love all of your adventures!
Hopefully the snow will pass in TWO WEEKS when we are there!!
solo parenting in a snow storm definitely is the best excuse to slide down the stairs on a mattress! well done kristin. surrender to what it is, eh? i would be in heaven if we were snowed in and I was forced to just chill...however, i've only got 2 kiddos to keep happy in that situation so a bit less to consider! i would love to romp in the snow right now! gorgeous photos as usual! love love love the tent photo!
^ FORT photo, I mean! (my girls did the tent thing today!) I found you on instagram! You can check them out in their tent there! ; )
Post a Comment