Thursday, July 11, 2013

the fourth :: a race, a reunion and a birthday

On the fourth of July my family had their first annual Gregory Family Reunion and bbq up in Greeley, CO. We were all excited to finally meet and catch up with family we haven't seen in awhile. I also registered to run the Highlands Ranch Independence 5k that morning too.

Let me just tell you, out of the five 5k's I have ran this year, this was the hardest and least fun run.

 photo DSC_0986copy_zpsd8c2a92a.jpg This race had straight incline hills that seemed hard to walk up let alone run up for 3.1 miles and add altitude change I was exhausted at the end. But I still managed to run it in 24.3 and I was so excited by that and shocked! And I should add that it was pretty awesome to have my parents and older brother(and Fisher and Wayne) to cheer me on too. Maybe it wasn't that terrible ;) 

On to the family reunion! 
 photo DSC_0717copy_zps5afa105b.jpg  photo DSC_0731copy_zpsada2321a.jpg  photo DSC_0737copy_zpsd06e2e5c.jpg  photo DSC_0745copy_zps26426c1d.jpg  photo DSC_0765copy_zpsee865a7f.jpg  photo DSC_0779copy_zps0ab9c29c.jpg  photo DSC_0787copy_zpseedb7c40.jpg  photo DSC_0795copy_zps5f6e1f68.jpg  photo DSC_0799copy_zpsf7ae8706.jpg  photo DSC_0834copy_zpsc3e53599.jpg  photo DSC_0861copy_zps310523dd.jpg  photo picturetemplate2_zps1f5aafcc.jpg the fourth of July also happens to be Wayne's birthday too, and this year he was turning the big 4 0! I decided to do forty years of memories by asking his friends and family to write their favorite memories they had of Wayne. I then packaged them up and had him open them up and take a trip down memory lane. My mom suggested we bring them to the reunion so he could open them with the whole family there. Needless to say, he really enjoyed this gift! 
  photo picturetemplate_zpsa4d8ccc2.jpg  photo DSC_0826copy_zps049aba5f.jpg after the reunion we headed home for cake and fireworks(or glow sticks!) 
  photo DSC_0895copy_zps39a3c81a.jpg  photo picturetemplate3_zpsb39e6910.jpg the next day was my mother's birthday and we decided to spend it on a hike up at Lear of the Bear. So much fun! 
 photo DSC_0917copy_zps1585775c.jpg  photo DSC_0936copy_zps1d553679.jpg  photo DSC_0942copy_zps9d4f8e16.jpg  photo DSC_0946copy_zps8cab4f13.jpg Chase just adores his cousin Paul. He is constantly talking about him every day. 
  photo DSC_0962copy_zps04ae8a3f.jpg And i am so extremely grateful that I have such amazing and awesome nieces and nephews. They all are so wonderful and great to my children and treat each one like a true friend. Fisher loves his cousin Emily. He lights up every time he sees her.
  photo DSC_0993copy_zps2ebc81a1.jpg  photo picturetemplate4_zps9ffe7fcc.jpg  photo picturetemplate5_zpsd8b33a24.jpg the kids had such a blast playing in the water. it was warm enough that even little Oliver got to play in the fun!

Going on hikes like these really make me miss Colorado and the mountains. What a little difference some fresh air can make!

We had so much fun on our trip back west. It was so awesome to get together and catch up with everyone! Looking forward to getting back out there again. Thanksgiving can't come soon enough!

  photo signature11_zpsccec86db.jpg

2 comments:

*Jess* said...

It looks beautiful there! What a fun family reunion! Our family hasn't been organized enough yet to get one going :(

Kristin said...

such a great collection of photos! love the strategically placed leaf in the oliver photo at the end! ; ) and what a fantastic idea for wayne's birthday. well done. congrats on your 5km...being that it was a tough incline is even more to be proud of. you did it! ; )