Back in February I started a journal. A much needed journal. One to jot down my thoughts, emotions and questions I have. My journal is mostly my way of dealing with all the things going on around me, and with this blog and photography, they have become kind of a release to me.
Today, I needed that journal, and well, this journal knew that. I opened right to the first page, where this quote was written. (And I so wish I would have written down who wrote it). It was the first thing I wrote when I found out that Fisher had autism and I am glad that it's there to remind me.
"Every life has peaks and shadows and times when it seems that the birds don't sing and bells don't ring. Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are the happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser and happier as a result"
"The way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life." -Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin
And so we have one more peak to climb over as we move along on this crazy journey. Last night ended up be a scary night for me with Fisher. He is normally one our best sleepers in our house but he woke up three times, all in crazy tears and feeling very hot. The last time I took Fisher with me to lay on the couch to see if I could calm him down. After a few minutes, Fisher began panicking again and his arms and legs began to jerk in a weird motion. This experience prompted us to meet with our pediatrician and discuss the possibilities of seizures.
And as we discussed the possibilities it occurred to us that Fisher may be experiencing silent seizures or moments when it looks like he is zoning out.
So this Monday Fisher will undergo an EEG test on his brain to determine the possibility of seizures. Although this is definitely a stressful event for a mother to go through, both Wayne and I are staying positive and looking forward to ruling one more thing, either out or contributing, to Fisher's development.

On some great news and development, Fisher has some new words and signs he has learned!
This last Wednesday Fisher went to his third speech therapy session and surprised both me and the therapist! Fisher was able to mimic every hand gesture both the therapist and I presented him with. He was able to sign "ball", "bubbles", "wet", and "dog". He also said the word "bubbles", "woof woof" and all of "ee-i, ee-i, o" in Old MacDonald! And the part that just brought the biggest smile to my face was when the therapist would show him a picture of an animal in a book and he was able to point it out that animal on a worksheet in front of him! It took a lot in me to hold back tears, but my smile saved me and Fisher could tell how excited we were!
We are seeing such amazing progress in this boy! It's been such a wonderful experience and I am starting to appreciate all the little things that make days like those so amazing.
Kids are truly a wonderful blessing and I am thankful that each one is teaching me something new everyday.
So I am taking this trip with great strides and reminding myself to laugh and smile everyday. Because when I smile, those two little boys smile back, and I am going to need those smiles for many years to come!






3 comments:
I agree "kids are truly a wonderful blessing." Hang in there! You are amazing...
You are very strong. You all are so lucky to have eachother. Your boys seem amazing! (P.S. Elder Wirthlin is so wise. I love that quote.) Thanks for sharing :)
Thanks girls! :)
Post a Comment